Korg Kross 88 Key Synthesizer Workstation Keyboard
Battery-powered and weighing less than 28 pounds, the Korg Kross music workstation is the epitome of portable — for full-size keyboards, anyway. If you’re a live performer or gigging musician you will especially like the mobility that the 88-key Kross affords, since you can take it from place to place without breaking your back. Its powerful EDS-i sound engine delivers hundreds of convincing, easy-to-use instrument presets, drum samples, and effects, making the Kross keyboard the kind of performance synth you can just turn on and play without having to do any major tweaking or sound design work. It’s also loaded with tools like a built-in step sequencer derived from the Korg Electribe, 16-track MIDI sequencer, drum track, and arpeggiator that will transform your performance on stage and in the studio.
EDS-i Sound Engine Provides Lots of Sonic Variety
Some keyboards offer a thousand instrument sounds, and some offer a hundred. With 421 multisamples (plus 890 drum samples), the Kross sports a happy medium. You get essentials like grand pianos, electric pianos, strings, organ, and synth sounds, as well as some more exotic fare, such as vintage tape sampler, toy piano, and accordion sounds. The Kross 88 also comes loaded with must-have dance and electronica sounds that are hard to find in this price range. No matter what kind of music you play, the Kross has a sound (or ten) to back it up. You can use the Sound Selector to find the sounds you want, and use the favorites function to organize them for your next performance.
Freakishly Good FX
The Kross’s EDS-i sound engine allows you to use seven effects simultaneously (five insert effects plus two master effects), giving you plenty of creative control over your sounds. Essential effects such as delay, reverb, chorus, flanger, and rotary speaker are included, as are some unexpected extras, like amp modeling, vocoder voice, and more. Korg’s Kross workstation includes no fewer than 134 high-quality effects.
It’s easy to select sounds, make beats, and create full songs on the Kross. Its clean layout puts everything you need front and center: volume, instrument/category selector, FX buttons, simple audio recorder functions, split/layer, step sequencer, drums, and so forth. The Electribe-style step sequencer gives you hands-on drum editing, and a bright LCD screen lets you see and edit your beats in real time.
MIDI Sequencing and Audio Recording Capabilities
Need to capture a guitar melody, vocals, or a quick idea for a song? No problem — do it directly on the Kross with the keyboard’s built-in stereo audio recorder with mic and line inputs. You can connect instruments or other audio sources and record straight to SD card media, and then incorporate your new audio with the sounds already available on the Kross. And of course, there’s a 16-track MIDI sequencer as well.
Feels Like the Kind of Keyboard You Want to Play
A full bed of 88 natural weighted hammer action keys helps the Kross feel more like a piano than a portable keyboard, despite the Kross’s super-light, 27-pound build. Play comfortably. When it’s time to pack up and go, carry it comfortably, too.
Power Up Anywhere, Anytime
Great for mobile musicians, the Korg Kross can be powered either by the included AC adapter or 6 AA batteries. That means the instrument is at home in any location — even a park bench with no electrical outlets in sight.
– 88-Key piano keyboard ideal for live performance
– Powerful EDS-i sound engine delivers a variety of sounds in various musical styles, with 7 effects available for simultaneous use
– Sound Selector makes it easy to find the perfect sound
– 88 Natural Weighted Hammer Action keys
– Plenty of presets: 421 multisamples and 890 drum samples
– A total of 134 effects
– Play with 128 songs
– Maximum polyphony: 80 voices (80 oscillators) in Single mode; 40 voices (40 oscillators) in Double mode
– Favorites function lets you register 64 selected sounds or audio songs for instant access
– Stereo audio recorder lets you record and overdub your performances and vocals
– Built-in step sequencer (derived from the Electribe), 16-track MIDI sequencer, drum track, and arpeggiator
– External input jacks allow you to connect a mic or external audio source
– Quick, easy to use Layer/Split function
– Connects to your computer via USB for plug-in integration with a DAW
– Lightweight (27.3 lbs.), portable design — can be powered by 6 AA batteries