Fender Players Stratocaster HSS Maple Fingerboard
When Leo FENDER® introduced the world to his newest creation, the Stratocaster®, nobody could possibly have known that it would change the face of contemporary music forever. In the beginning, there was just one Strat® configuration with three single-coil pickups. Today there’s a Strat to match everyone’s budget or their playing style. The Fat Strat is a modern take on a classic design with the addition of a humbucking pickup in the bridge position and special switching for a nearly infinite range of tones. So whether you play country, blues, heavy metal, or R&B, the Fat Strat can deliver the sound you want.
Like most contemporary Strats, the Fat Strat features a lightweight, “comfort contoured” alder body, which has actually changed very little since the first Strats rolled off the production lines in 1954. However, this new version has shielded body cavities for quieter operation and reduced hum, which is particularly important with single-coil pickups. They sound great but could get a bit noisy at times.
While there’s no denying the fact that Leo Fender’s guitar designs were an amazing blend of art and engineering, it was the erroneously named synchronized tremolo (it’s actually a vibrato) that may well have been his most inspired bit of engineering. With it, you could bend notes or even entire chords up or down without throwing the guitar out of tune. Even though Fender has continued to improve upon the tremolo, many players simply prefer the look and feel of the original. In the Fat Strat®, there’s also a high mass bridge block for improved sustain and overall tone.
The Stratocaster® was the first production line guitar with three pickups, and that basic configuration is just as popular today as it was in 1954. While the Fat Strat has three pickups, only two are the original single-coil design. By adding a humbucking pickup that coil taps to the front coil and combines with the middle pickup in Position 2, Fender has added some slightly more aggressive sounds to the Strat’s sonic arsenal.
Fender Players Stratocaster HSS Solidbody Electric Guitar Features at a Glance:
- Arctic White
- Alder body
- Modern C-shaped maple neck with a satin polyurethane finish
- Fender/Ping standard cast/sealed tuning machines
- 9.5″-radius maple fingerboard with 22 medium-jumbo frets
- 1 Humbucker™ (bridge) and 2 standard single-coil (neck and middle) pickups
- 1 master volume and 2 tone (neck pickup, middle pickup and middle/bridge combination) controls
- 2-Point Synchronized Tremolo with Bent Steel Saddles
- 5-position blade pickup switch:
- Position 1. Full bridge humbucker ( tone control)
- Position 2. Front coil of bridge pickup and middle pickup (lead tone control)
- Position 3. Middle pickup (lead tone control)
- Position 4. Middle and neck pickups (lead and rhythm tone controls)
- Position 5. Neck pickup (rhythm tone control)
- Chrome hardware
- Fender Super Bullet® 3250L, nickel-plated steel, .009 to .042 strings
- 3-ply white pickguard
- 25.5″ scale length
- Width at nut: 1-11/16″